This comprehensive guide will walk you through the entire FASTnet customer journey, from initial sign-up to the moment you’re connected to the fastest, most reliable internet technology available.
1. The Decision to Upgrade
The journey begins with your decision to upgrade your connection to the internet. To initiate the process, visit 4CFASTnet.com and navigate to the plan that suits you best. Here’s a quick breakdown of how to sign up for home internet services vs. business internet services.
Signing Up for Home Internet:
On 4CFASTnet.com, hover over “Services” in the main navigation bar and click “Residential Internet” from the dropdown menu. From here, click the service package that best suits your needs. An important note: At FASTnet, we know your internet needs will ebb and flow throughout your life (say, when a dependent moves out or in). Changing packages is an easy phone call away.
Once you’ve entered your address, you’ll automatically see whether service is currently available to your home. If service is available to you, fill out the form and the FASTnet team will be in touch! If you would prefer, we’re always happy to set you up for service over the phone. Please call us at 1-800-431-1544 to get started.
Signing Up for Business Internet:
On 4CFASTnet.com, hover over “Services” in the main navigation bar and click “Solutions” from the dropdown menu. Click the service tier that best suits your business needs and complete the corresponding form. After that, sit back and maybe read a few of our other blogs—our team will contact you shortly.
If you’re unsure which package would serve your home or business requirements, contact our team at (800) 431-1544; we’ll ask a few questions to understand your unique situation and make suggestions accordingly.
Now that you’re officially signed up, you’ll begin receiving status notifications via email or text. FASTnet offers these updates to inform you of our progress in delivering affordable, reliable internet to your home or business.
Remember: you may experience a slight waiting period depending on your home or business location. As of 2023, we’re finishing out our fiber infrastructure. Services will be gradually rolled out with demand to help us keep installation costs—and, subsequently, our service costs—low.
2. The Visible Progress: Fiber Installation in Your Neighborhood
You may notice signs of progress in your neighborhood as you await your turn to connect to the FASTnet fiber network. Fiber optic cables may start to appear along roadsides, utility poles, or buried in the ground. This development is exciting, but it’s important to understand that the presence of fiber in your area doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get internet access immediately—the cables you see in your neighborhood are part of the broader infrastructure buildout. The specific timeline for connecting individual homes or businesses can still vary, so staying informed through communication with FASTnet is vital.
3. Fiber Drop to Your Home or Business
Next, the fiber drop—aka: the individual fiber cable—will be connected to the outside of your home or business. This may involve burying lines underground or attaching the cable to a utility pole to create a secure and weather-resistant connection. We’ll install your fiber the same way your electricity is installed (e.g., if you have an aerial power connection, you’ll have an aerial fiber drop).
FASTnet will send you a status alert once it’s time to install the drop. Since the drop cable only connects to the outside of your home or business, you do not need to be present when technicians connect it; this status update just tells you that we’ll be around your home or business in the coming days.
Around this time, technicians will also install a network interface device (NID) to a wall outside your home/business. The NID is a grey, plastic box—you’ve likely seen one before on the outside of a home. Once it’s installed, you’re only a few weeks away from fiber internet!
4. Preparing for Installation
Once your fiber drop and NID are in place, you’ll hear from us when we’re ready to schedule your installation.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Schedule an installation time when you’ll be home or at the business being connected.
2. To ensure a smooth process, know where you want to place your router and clear the surrounding area. Check out our Be Install Ready infographic for more details on preparing your house for installation.
3. Rest easy knowing that FASTnet’s installation is free, and equipment costs are included with your service. If you’d like to look at the equipment and how it works, check out our FASTnet Equipment Tutorial.
5. Installation (Whoop, whoop!)
Installation day marks the most exciting part of your journey. FASTnet technicians will arrive at your location to complete the installation process.
Here’s what you can expect:
1. Interior Setup: Inside your home or business, FASTnet technicians will install the modem, the gateway for your fiber broadband connection. They will also set up the Wi-Fi router and ensure a strong, reliable signal throughout your space. This interior setup may come a few days after the outdoor wall installation.
2. Testing and Activation: Following the physical installation, FASTnet technicians will thoroughly test the connection to ensure it functions correctly. Once technicians confirm everything is working as intended, your fiber broadband service will be activated!
3. Smart Home Wi-Fi Opportunity: Once you’re set up, technicians will have a good understanding of your home/business size and potential needs. If the technician sees a need, he or she may introduce our smart home solutions to give you the best Wi-Fi experience possible. Reach our team at (800) 431-1544 or visit our Smart Home WiFi webpage to learn more.
6. The Initial Experience and Ongoing Support
With your fiber broadband now up and running, you’re ready to dive into the world of high-speed internet. In the first few days, take the time to explore your new connectivity: enjoy faster downloads, smoother video streaming, and low-latency online gaming.
FASTnet is committed to providing excellent customer support. While issues with your connection are rare, FASTnet’s customer service team is readily available to help troubleshoot and resolve problems. Technical support is available daily from 7:00 a.m. to midnight. You can reach us at (800) 431-1544.
Conclusion: A Seamless Connectivity Journey
Your journey to broadband may involve some waiting and preparation, but the rewards are well worth it. With patience and cooperation, you can transition to high-speed internet that will transform your online experience. Embrace the journey, and soon, you’ll be fully hooked up to the internet, enjoying all the benefits of fiber broadband.
In summary, your journey to FASTnet internet follows a clear path:
1. Contact FASTnet to express interest and initiate the process.
2. Witness the expansion of fiber infrastructure in your neighborhood.
3. Take one step closer to fiber internet as your fiber drop and NID are installed.
4. Prepare for installation, including clearing a path to where you want your router to go.
5. Experience a seamless installation with FASTnet technicians.
6. Enjoy your lightning-fast fiber broadband with no installation fees and ongoing support from the FASTnet team for any assistance you may need.
Bonus: Status Notifications
We want to keep you informed throughout this process; that’s why FASTnet sends automatic status notifications via email or SMS. These notifications cover various stages, from the initial web request to the moment your FASTnet service is up and running. Whether it’s updates on engineering, fiber drop progress, installation scheduling, or preparing your home for the best connection, these notifications ensure you’re always in the loop.